Click the icon to
view our Facebook page
Facebook

Marina Info

Brentford Dock Marina

Brentford Dock Marina is situated on the tidal River Thames at the mouth of the Grand Union Canal, between Kew Bridge and Isleworth, in the southern part of Brentford, Middlesex. Once a working dock, today, it is one of London's undiscovered treasures.

The Marina is exceptionally well located for boat owners in West London that are loking for mooring on the Thames.


River Map

The Lock

The Brentford Marina Lock can be opened from approximately 2½ hours before high water to up to 2½ hours after high water (HW±2½). Boats with deeper draughts may only be able to enter and leave between approximately 2 hours before and after high water. Low water is approximately 7 to 8 hours after High Water.

The Lock is hydraulic and has working dimensions of approximately 9.8 metres (32 feet) and 4.8 metres (16 feet).

Boats over 32 feet enter at high water on free-flow by prior arrangement.

Free-Flow

Free-flow can be used when tide is higher than 6.7 meters and approximately 30 minutes before and 15 minutes after high tide.

Outside pontoon

The outside pontoon is available for short term mooring on the Thames when entry is not possible through lock.

Facilities

  • Very secure premises - The main pontoon is locked, access by swipe card only, 24 hour Estate/Dock patrol.
  • Electricity at each berth and water points on pontoon.
  • Showers, toilets and waste disposal facilities, (no oil disposal).
  • For berth-holders arriving outside locking times there is a 15 metre waiting pontoon in the Thames.
  • Dedicated car parking spaces.
  • There is a Supermarket on the Dock Estate.
  • Brentford High Street is a short walk away with a supermarket, laundry facilities, banks, post office, restaurants, pubs, coffee shops, British Rail and London Buses, etc.

Mooring Fees

History

The Grand Union Canal was constructed in the 18th century and the River Brent was finally converted into part of the British canal network in 1805.

Brentford Dock began construction in 1855 to a plan by Brunel as a freight link between river-borne traffic and the Great Western Railway's (GWR) rail network to the West Country and other parts of the United Kingdom. It was opened in 1859.

In the 1950s and early 1960s, with increased road traffic, much less use was made of the waterways for transporting goods. Brentford Dock was closed in 1964.

In 1972 construction work began on the Brentford Dock Estate and the project was completed six years later in 1978.

For the official opening of Brentford Dock Marina on 7 August 1980 Sir Horace Cutler, head of what was then the GLC (Greater London Council), sailed up river from County Hall on the Princess Freda.

In 2009 Brentford Dock will be 150 years old.